Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Am I contradicting myself?

Recently while I was waiting for the bus, or in fact traveling on the bus, I’ve been thinking if fashion is really something that others use to define, interpret, and understand an individual. Is fashion a way for us to represent, express our inner desires? Or is it solely existed for the function of protection?

A few days ago, I was complaining on the phone with my mom that I really really want to cut my hair because of the super hot temperature in Shanghai (and Hong Kong). Her reply was, “aren’t you afraid others would call you a tomboy or mistaken you as a man?” Cough cough mother. If we are going with the stereotype images, there’s no way ever I’ll be more butch looking than you do. (refer to this for more description of my mom) Anyhow, I responded her it doesn’t matter how others take you, as long as you are comfortable with it. Then she changed the conversation topic to having short hair needs continuous maintenance and stuff. But after that phone call I’m wondering - so how you look is equal to what you are? In many ways this is true. One of my gay guy friends dressed himself in extremely flamboyant colours after he came out to others. There is also me, who substantially decided to cut my long hair (which I had over 8+ years) short and dyke up my wardrobe after I’ve confirmed my feelings for girls and want to attract other lesbians. And for non-LGBT related examples, there’s my good friend who is a bit sloppy and very casual – she really goes with wrinkled (in a bad way) clothes and hence non-polished looks even at job interviews (which doesn’t do her any good). I guess maybe after all, it is human nature to judge people by the way they look (and how they carry themselves). Fashion just happens to be one of the means.

And the big question of the day - if I cut my medium-length hair shorter, will you think that I’m a lesbian-loving lezzie?

No comments:

Post a Comment