Saturday, February 20, 2010

Where is My Home?

After a full year of being outside where I consider as home for the past ten years, I started to get lost. I cannot stop to wonder where do I actually belong. Home? Home home? Home home home? What?

Until around I was ten, I thought I would belong to the small Asian Tiger city where my parents grew up, also where I had spent my childhood. However years after, I slowly emerged into the local culture of the new city I was forced to move to. Then I thought I could finally take this foreign city as my home.

Nope. I was wrong. Upon the return from my year-long trip of traveling and living elsewhere, I can only identify with certain parts of this city I called home. Everyday I suffer the tourist-ness within myself. This is a very horrible feeling, as I had always hated the sense of disconnection when I was living aboard in the Oriental Pearl. The in-between stage between local and foreign was hard to be understood by others who do not share the exact same background and experience.

Someone please come and help this homeless kid. Spread the love.

2 comments:

  1. do you know that watching tv sometimes makes you feel home? i find it strange

    ReplyDelete
  2. umm, the tv doesn't work in my house. well the tv itself physically works, just not the cable nor the signal reception antenna.

    for me those black and white sizzles don't do much.

    ReplyDelete