Monday, February 23, 2009

In between...?

I've been trying to be a vegetarian on most days, but I can't resist the particular yummy meat items like Cantonese-style barbecue pork, Ikea meatballs, pork and veggie dumplings, pork katsu don etc. Because of that, I can only keep the same title/belief as the majority of people, as "non-vegetarian" or "meat eaters" (Am I just making up terms?). Or I can mention that I'm on the veggie diet.

However guess what I discovered today - there's actually terms called semi-vegetarianism and flexitarianism. According to wikipedia, semi-vegetarianism is "the practice of excluding some meat (particularly red meat) from the diet while still consuming limited amounts of poultry, fish, and/or seafood." As for flexitarianism, it is "a semi-vegetarian diet focusing on vegetarian food with occasional meat consumption."

I know labels are no good (similar to the labels regarding the complex topic of sexual identity, orientation, expression, expectation, and this list can go on forever; there're also stereotyping attached to labels too - but we'll explore that in another post). None of the less I'm happy to call myself as a "semi-vegetarian!"

No comments:

Post a Comment