Sunday, February 22, 2009

Translation Project

Similar to the last last post, I don't know what to blog about, so I'll show art!

In fact, this is one of the initial things that got me interested in the idea of translation, all the interpretation differences and changes that's evident in our lives. At first I was just captured by a painting an unknown artist did at the Shanghai MoCA - I snapped a photo of it to add into my image library. However I started to use that photograph for digital illustrations, for printmaking, and for painting. I want to experiment how I would translate a piece of art into many other pieces of art via my personal way of translation.


Translation I - I, 2008 Shanghai, Photograph
A partial snapshot of the original painting by an unknown artist.


Translation I - II, 2008 Toronto, Digital Illustration
Converting the photograph of the original painting into black and white using photoshop.


Translation II - I, 2008 Cambridge, Aluminum Plate
Imprinting patterns and marks onto aluminum plate from the b/w image using drypoint. (Sorry for the bad image, I took it at night with a crappy cell phone camera.)


Translation II - II (Print I), 2008 Cambridge, Print on Paper
Transfering image from dry point plate onto paper by printmaking.


Translation II - II (Print VI, i think), 2008 Cambridge, Print on Paper
More prints on paper with the drypoint plate, except this time the aluminum plate was enhanced with more marks and patterns.


Translation III, 2008 Cambridge, Digital Illustration
Converting the photograph of the first print to negative colours using some software on my cellphone.


Translation IV, 2008-2009 Toronto, Acrylic on Canvas
A big step forward - translating the b/w rigid patterned images (I used the b/w photograph and the first printmaking print as references mainly) into a multi coloured soft dreamy painting. Interesting. There're spots that needs improvement, but for now I'll leave it as is. And yes, the painting is turned 180 degrees relative to the above ones. I like it this way more.

I'm wondering how far I can bring this creative project of translation to...

No comments:

Post a Comment