Saturday, June 18, 2011

Story | Intertwine

Waiting in the lobby munching my sandwich, I peeked through the foyer glass contemplating on the retail strip across. A parade of some sort was walking down the street two layers of glass away from me. I assumed it was a wedding march - the couple was B. and a white girl. I was never close to B., so I did not know who the bride was. But nonetheless I quietly congratulated them in my heart, wondering my own sour single state.

Both of the groom and the bride were wearing elaborated weird head pieces, something made of wheat and greens in an organic form. It was very architectural and definitely not something you see everyday. Following behind the grand couple was a bunch of elegantly and nicely dressed young men in suit, also donning smaller decorated pieces on their heads. M., as the groom's man, was among one of them.

I was just simply amazed by this function, unknown to me... It was almost like a surprise, but one that I was not directly involved nor should be affected by.

* * *

A. explained to me she was a bit frustrated by the ceiling design inside the stairs. The thin strips of concrete beams with rails for movable hooks high above, about two levels, were creeping her out. Obviously she doesn't enjoy minimalist smooth fluid yet strong shapes. She brought us into the vertical circulation space, showing me the exact space she was complaining about. It had a combination of various architectural moments I have seen at Zaha Hadid's MAXXI Museum in Rome... Interesting.

However, all I noticed was a glazed panel on the side, framing and projecting to another set of stairs many floors above. It looked exactly like the perspective rendering showcased some time back before the construction that I came across sometime ago. I guess the as-built did not drift off much from the original proposal.

Walking down the grand stairs were M. and his fellow colleagues. They were dressed in high fashion typical male model suits with summer loafers, walking over to say hello to A. To be honest, I was surprised M. had transformed from my image of him as a young adolescence into a almost-unrealistic version of the ideal male found in Korean dramas. Another interesting moment.


2011/05/22

No comments:

Post a Comment