Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Re-routing of Buses

I had quite a weird, yet familiar dream. I got picked up, traveled around, and dropped off by the bus I take to commute from my home to the outside. Yet in the dream, the bus wasn't running on the current route that it takes... It was traveling in unknown suburb avenues and streets, providing the passenger with no idea where they are as all the houses looked the same. The street facades seemed very familiar, but were they simply a composite of the dream, or they actually existed for a period of time, yet got erased as the suburb community developed and the bus service got re-routed?

I had a drawer inside the built-in closet in my room that is dedicated to bus tickets and bus transfers. There were a number of different designs of transfer slips, from the town/region that I live in. There were also some long distance travel bus tickets, dating from a few years ago. It is fascinating to think about how my community has developed over the past 10 years... Now I really hope that I would be able to find a bus schedule or bus route map somewhere in my house, one that was dated back years ago, particular my high school years, to see how the bus route has transformed as more and more cookie-cutter houses are being plotted.

The rapid transport system also had erased my high school memories. I used to get off the first bus at one corner of the intersection, then walk across one road to get the second bus' bus stop. However now, they had changed the locations of the bus stops, making me cross two times on the busy roads. There goes my memory of carrying a large portfolio, walking along with speeding vehicles to catch the bus to school...

Oh, did I mention the rapid transport system now had redirected me from passing by my high school if I'm traveling towards the subway station? They decided to route around the intersection where my school is to relieve the crazy traffic in rush hour. Of course I know that area has the busiest traffic and the worst congestion, yet now, I could only pass by the place filled with memories under rare occasion. Maybe the avoidance was a good idea after all, so memories of those years, that place, and the things that happened would not get override in my head.

It is very sad that the memory of my first bus rides in this town were overwritten by my now everyday commute routine. I want to recollect the memories of my past, the early memories of this forever growing community... yet unable to trace back everything as I cannot pause, nor stop myself from intaking new information every second.

No comments:

Post a Comment