Tuesday, March 17, 2009

200 Pounds Beauty

Many of you know I'm pretty outdated on so-called "popular" stuff. The past Sunday I finally watched 200 Pounds Beauty (2006, South Korea). Yes I'm 2 years late. Whatever.


It's funny because the movie and its theme songs reminded me the time when I was very into Korean entertainment and culture years ago (hey, there was sort of a reason for it. I was curious to know more as a lot of non-Koreans thought I'm Korean! My tiny eyes are just a stereotype... geez. Plus all the Korean girls are so pretty nowadays. I don't resemble them at all, not even close, okieee?). I was doing my first work term on main campus, and all I did for free time during that 4 months was to watch (not so new) Korean dramas and movies. Then on every weekend I would stopped by Finch Station to go home (I haven't discover the greatness of Go Train at that time yet). I also went singing Japanese and Korean karaoke with my high school night-class classmates in K-Town and ate yummy authentic Korean barbecue with my family at that restaurant on the SW corner of Finch and Yonge. And one thing irrelevant to any of the above - I permed my long hair the first time that term. It's weird to think that now I've straight short hair. Those few months were like a dream, floated by and gone. However I'm glad I did got over the want-for-cosmetic-surgery period. At that time I did thought of having my eyes done by making them a bit bigger, not double eyelid nor doll-like though, but depuffing and elongating them so they look less kiddish and better looking visually yet maintaining my signature features (my eyes will turn into lines when I smile, and apparently many people remembered me because of that). Fortunately I discovered the magic of bold acrylic glasses soon enough (well I kinda know it all the way since early high school) to save myself from going under the knife.

Anyway, enough mention of my memories and past struggles. While watching the movie, I really enjoyed one of the theme songs, Maria, sang by the main lead Kim Ah Joong herself. But soon I realized the song was actually a Korean adaptation of Blondie's Maria. No wonder it sounded familiar... Here's the Korean one clipped from the movie:



And Blondie's version:




Check out the plot summary and review of 200 Pounds Beauty by clicking here.

2 comments:

  1. Where did you watch it? (eng subtitle or chinese?) I watched the first bit..but for some reason did not finish it.. but yeaa, it's one funny movie~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Err... I watched it at home on my macbook?! lol. I wouldn't say the movie is funny... but the plot is light and happy.
    You can watch it in Sept on my laptop!

    ReplyDelete