Saturday, March 7, 2009

March 8th: IWD

What is today you might ask. It seems they don't really mention about it in Canada, as I don't remember it being talk about in school at all, nor any commercial significance regarding today's celebration. Maybe Canada has a pretty decent system on providing equal rights for all people hence there's nothing big going on? (Hey, we are not that behind in same-sex marriage after all.)

International Women's Day, which is on March 8th, celebrates the long route of activists fighting for women's right. I don't see much of it political awareness in Shanghai here. My co-workers just talked about how they would have good deals and discounts at department stores. Like you will get 10% off or something. (Ridiculous. Everything is so emerge into the consumer culture. Just like Christmas too. They market it as an event that makes money. Lots of money without the presence of religion or what so ever.)

To talk about the current women's right here in China, there is improvement if you compare the situation of many years ago. But people are still strongly believing in the idea of "being a good wife and obey your husband", "marrying a rich man and you will live well for the rest of your life", and "delivering a baby boy will make your mother-in-law and your husband's extended family happy." WTF. I prefer to be a good partner to someone (gender and title of the person don't matter), not to get marry (currently I'm not interested in doing so), not to have babies (girl or boy, I'm not ready emotionally nor financially ready for them yet), and I dress to please myself and maybe the people I love but not the general public. Certainly not entertained by your judgmental comments too.

It is pretty depressing when I hear female friends, co-workers, whoever else talked about being their understanding of the "perfect woman." I mean, is that your life goal? To please men? To submerge yourself into fully supporting patriarchy culture? During a recent hang-out, I got to know that one of the younger co-worker chose shoes based on how much guys would think the heels will be attractive and cute and sexy. WTF x 2. (Is it just me who is a feminist here??? Helloooo?) I think I would accept that reason better if you said the shoes make you feel confident or attractive in them, not that you would think guys will like them. Personally I'm not against heels, but they hurt my feet and I can't catch the bus with them on bumpy Shanghai streets. I don't mind wearing them occasionally, after all they do make ME (not others, not guys) feel sexy sometimes. Sigh. I know I cannot force my believes onto others as I don't like others dropping theirs (aka patriarchy) on me. Yet I feel really sorry for those who still buys the idea of being the submissive, dependent, obeying, men-pleasing women.

Another incident was my experience at a club recently. A boy asked me to dance with him. I was being nice so I stood up from my comfortable sitting position and danced. He tried to grine at me. I pushed him away. He fell onto some people. People gave me strange faces. Ya know, I really don't like people touching me without my consent. And no I'm not going to cooperate and participate in your little fun. F*ck off. What's wrong with you? I thought you think that I'm a dyke anyway. Go dance with someone who's willing to be grined at just to boost their self-worth value and attractiveness from your actions. But again, I feel really really sorry for those girls that are willing to get manipulated by you. May those girls be enlightened one day and realize they don't have to live under the patriarchy tree. Remember that all people can run freely as they enjoy! (Oh yeah, as a side note, I hate those girls who kiss each other just to catch male attention. Kate Perry is not cool, okie? Stop obscuring our relationships.)

Let's celebrate the day with Keep On Livin' by feminist punk-rock band Le Tigre (check them out at http://www.letigreworld.com/).


No comments:

Post a Comment