Sunday, March 1, 2009

Craziness for a book

I'll start March with a story about my craziness. I have gone far enough with the purchase of this book - it's not easy to get my hands on it (of course it could be easily done if I'm willing to pay crazy for shipping).

I've my eyes on it since it was first mentioned in an article on Fridae around October 2008. So after reading that article, I went to the project organizer's website, read information on how to buy the book (which doesn't really help as they only provide info for people who are currently in HK), and then went on emailing one of their contacts. Connie, one of the contacts, replied that I could get the book via Fridae shopping, or she can accept money personally via Paypal. For Fridae, obviously it didn't work because even now they don't have the book listed in their shop. As for paying through Paypal with Connie, she didn't get back to me after a month or so - I decided not to bother her anymore. I would just wait and wait until I get to HK and I go get the book myself. 2008 passed and 2009 came. I'm working in Shanghai and going back to Hong Kong for Chinese new year. Here's my chance! However, as I was sticking with my parents all the time and going to lots of different places, I don't really have access to bookstores by myself (no I'm not out to them yet). I did manage to check out one in the shopping plaza underneath my apartments a day before I leave HK (I know I was late, but I couldn't find an excuse earlier to go out by myself), but they ran out of stock. ARGH. The sales assistant said the closest place to get the book was in Causeway Bay. I know I would regret a lot if I didn't manage to get the book before I leave, I decided to head to CWB 2 hours before going to the airport even though I was super sick and dizzy, finding a random but workable excuse for my parents that I want a specific book. So I went and got the book. That's the story.


Wondering what made me doing crazy stuff like this? The full title of this book is called《艾love女人一一香港會愛上女人的女人口述歷史》(roughly translates as "I Love Women: Oral History of Hong Kong Women Who Loves Women"), 2008, organized and edited by a group of volunteers, published in traditional Chinese. Although I only spent my childhood years in Hong Kong, I do want to know more about HK women who love women and their stories. Plus I'm in love with reading right now (should of know that way way earlier). Getting back on topic, the book listed numerous stories of women from diverse backgrounds, of different generations, and with various self identities. And the last chapter included a fun piece of writing on "TB 背心" (chest binding vests) and how they act like the wonderful push-up bras for most women, but rather provide the miracle of "push-down" for tomboys and butch ladies. The book also included a bookmark which gives the definitions and explainations of many of the popular terms used within the HK lesbian community or gay culture in general.

Check out the book description and purchasing information from 香港女同盟會 (Women Coalition of Hong Kong) by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment