Thursday, March 12, 2009

Labels and Complications

I'm not ready to identify as a woman yet. The word woman sounds too serious. Plus the stigma that involves behind it - with many others contributing their ideals regarding one being a "woman" in today's patriarchal society. Being girl seems easier, as most people understand the term as a kid/juvenile, which put less responsibility on one. But many still have certain expectations. Lots of rules too. What to do and what not to do. How to react and how not to react. Is being female wrong after all? Maybe we all are not meant to be born and live. And suffer through all these patriarchal crap.

Actually I don't know how to describe myself in one single word. My self identification will be a bunch of words put together in an ultra complex paragraph that will put you to sleep. I'm a person who loves to analyze and breakdown things into categories and compartmentalize them into bits and pieces. But I find the issue of one's gender identity, sexuality identity, and sexual orientation are very complex to dig for an absolute answer. Also to me they are similar to the nature of water - let it flow and see where it brings you. At various stages of life it's highly possible that one would want to identify oneself differently.

Stereotyping is no good, although we all like to summarize people into labels. Labels do help you to identify each other fast, avoiding the later messiness of figuring out the person you are into are not exactly what you wanted/expected. Making people change according to your expectations is not really feasible. Adjustments might happen due to the great love, but definitely not entirely modifying the person into someone that purely lives in your fantasy.

I'm contradicting myself here again. So are labels good or what? I believe titles are good until they get to a certain degree where the one-worded descriptions bring you more complications rather than help. Labels do give people a sense of security and comfort as they feel they belong to a specific group after all. Remember all those teenage years when you tried to fit in? That's exactly what I mean. No one would want to be left alone by themselves and be outcasts.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you had a blog Amy! Well, I didn't know May had one either and I was telling her to get one cuz I got bored and got one. I hope everything is going great in Shanghai. At least it seems to be giving you lots of time to reflect huh? Miss you. -ST.

    ReplyDelete